Monday 14 February 2011

Type is Art




This has to be my new favourite thing. It would have been nice if someone had told me about it before as it's been around for about 6 years... ach well, we're here now, let's get busy.

"Parts Of A Character is a typography project that originated as an educational print, aimed at typography students, created by artist and designer Susanne Cerha. The print in turn inspired José Rodriguez of JRVisuals to create www.typeisart.com. Here, visitors are invited to create their own visuals, using parts of characters as abstract elements, removed from their communicative capacity."

Basically you use bits of letters to make your own pictoor, aye?

I just find it fascinating the amount of different outcomes and the endless possibilities that can crop up from using the same set of shapes. It's in much the same way that I like collage art and I also enjoy the fact that I don't have to draw any of them myself. It's all in the manipulation... Away and have a wee go.


If you have a look through the galleries you can find some pretty nifty stuff. Also if you leave the screen inactive for ten minutes it will start to randomly generate past creations. There are two different versions on the site so make sure you have a look at both.



Here's my first couple of attempts with these strange, abstract efforts:



No comments:

Post a Comment